Two Crazy Girls In Africa

This is the blog of Lauren & Kelly, as we head out on Saturday to the country of Uganda!!! Please pray for us that we will most importantly, honor God in ALL that we do (prepare to go, travel, and during our stay) & that we are a blessing to everyone we meet!!! We are excited to see what God will teach us through this incredible opportunity He has provided! We are both still floored as we look back to see how God opened EACH and EVERY door in HIS perfect timing!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

We rode on bodas!!!!

Yesterday was quite an exciting day! We left around 11:30am and took bodas to the end of the road. Let me try and explain what bodas are (and I apologize if I am getting the spelling wrong!). Basically we paid these men 500 shillings to get on the back of their motorcycles and zip along the road to take us to a destination. It was FUN! I have to admit it is wierd not to HOLD onto someone. When I ride on my dad's big Harley, I normally can grab onto him to get on, steady myself etc. But on the bodas you are somehow supposed to be able to get on without touching the drivers. Lauren has a HUGE advantage in this as these are smaller bikes, so she just swings a leg over and looks VERY graceful! I on the other hand, almost fell off one yesterday when I tried to swing my leg over without holding onto the driver, and caught my flip flop on the seat and had to quickly put my other leg down, before falling off. We have ridden 3 times now...2 times in the city and once from the AIM office to the bottom of the road. In Kampala was VERY interesting...they just zip in and out of traffic and pass things that in my mind it does not seem we have time to pass..it is CRAZY...but fun. At one point yesterday, Karen told the bodas where we were going, we got on..and then I saw Karen go one way on the Boda and Lauren was way ahead of me...it occured to me that I had no IDEA where I was going so they could take me anywhere...Lauren and I would have no idea if it was right or not :) ...but in a few minutes I saw a blonde head and knew all was well :)

We went to Sam's restaurant yesterday and had FRENCH FRIES!! They called them chips, but they look and tasted like french fries to me! We then went to the bank, where we saw these incredibly large birds that Karen HATES...and they were nesting in the trees. We really wanted to take a picture of them...Karen has cautioned us about taking pictures in town as people will then ask for money from you...so we asked her if we could, and she said to ask the 3 ARMED guards that were at the door. So I did, and he smiled and said yes. Hopefully I will be able to add the picture to the blog. These birds are GIGANTIC storks!!!


Then Lauren really wanted a picture of the armed guards, so we went in and asked Karen about asking to take his picture...she thought we were pushing it :) ...when we got home we told Gregg and he said we should have asked...he thinks they would have enjoyed it...2 american girls asking to take their picture...oh well :) We then went to the craft market and had a lot of fun bartering and buying some things! We went to the "mall" as well. As you walk around the city, its very interesting. Because you just act like its all normal..like you would see the same things at home. This way you are not gawking and gasping everywhere you go, and making it even more painfully obvious how much of a tourist you are...and yet...seriously when would I ever see a boy on a bicycle with about 20 chickens tied on the back...yeah..that's normal :) So you do a lot of talking in your head...at least I do...but then again everyone knew I was not really right in the head :)

And yes..we did see the famous MANHOLE. Since Joanne brought it up first I feel that I can talk about it...we took a moment of silence...nah, just kidding Russell. Karen pointed it out and said that when she and Gregg were in the city the next time after it had happened they had it barricaded off and stuff...it is still open but now just has some sort of palm leaf sticking out of it. I made sure to look down and up and all around as I walked :) and am thankful that my brother learned this valuable lesson for me.

We got home last night to no electricity..but Gregg somehow gets us some...I asked if it was a generator and he said no...he later on explained what it was, but I didn't really get it..but we had light! Which was good. Not enough electricity to run the refrigerator, but enough to eat dinner with and then play 5 Crowns. We had bangers and mash for dinner...Lauren has this thing with taking pictures of food..not sure why :) ...I think its because it keeps her OUT of the picture. anyway she wanted to take a picture of this "uganda meal", and then Gregg told her it was actually british...so no picture. But it was a good meal:) We had this incredible fruit salad for dessert...bananas, pineapple, mango and then passion fruit mixed in..it was amazing. We also enjoyed decaf coffee and some american chocolate :) lauren and I are a tad nervous we will have eaten all of Karen and Gregg's gifts while we are here :)

Lauren had a headache so she went to bed...but I stayed up and taught Gregg and Karen how to play 5 crowns. They got it easily...I don't think it will become their favorite game as Gregg kept saying that there was much to remember in this game...but they were good sports anyway and played all the way to Kings! :)

This morning, Karen and Lauren left around 7:30am for the islands. They will be staying there over night tonight. Lauren I think would have been more excited if she were more awake :)...but I think she is very happy to go and see the children on the island. I don't know much about it, and will just let her tell you more when she returns. I am currently at the office trying to figure out how to make our pictures smaller so that I can post them on here! My job while they are gone is to clean out Karen's filing cabinet and make it usable for her and to finish up the painting in the living room hopefully. It would be nice to get that done, so that we could put the living room back together while Karen is away! I will be staying at the guest house for tonight and getting meals there!

So...I guess I should stop typing and actually get to work :) It has just started to rain here, so it will most likely cool down some! Thanks for all of the comments! And of course for the prayers!!! We need those!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger - R said…

    Interesting fact about the boda-bodas... their name originated from the practice of using bicyles to take people across the international border (boda-boda = border-border)in the "no-mans-land" between posts without the paperwork required for motor vehicles.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey guys!

    Aww kel keep up the good work! I can seriously just imagine your boda experience and im cracking up lol!! But nothing near as bad as the manhole! I hope your enjoying it and im praying for you!!

    Lauren (when you get back) praying for you and i def want to see pictures of the kids!! Oh and you have new slang to learn from turley when you get back, its called the "akward turtle" its . . well. . intersting!

    Brynne

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    American chocolate? Wait a minute, ...are you guys eating those Girardelli squares we packed???

    :)

    -Alex

     
  • At 2:50 AM, Blogger KB said…

    Alex,

    Confession time..YES...we are eating the G squares that you sent...but Karen keeps putting them out for us....so we can't be rude and refuse...that would just be unafrican :) don't worry..Gregg and Karen eat them too!

    Kelly

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kel~
    I have such a vivid picture in my mind of you and that Boda! I'm glad you shared that with us -- and I'm sure my boys will enjoy that vivid picture immensely!!

    We miss you two terribly. Grace said that church didn't seem the same without you and Lauren there. I quite agree, but we're glad to share you with Gregg & Karen. I can't even imagine how encouraged the Lewis' must be by all your hard work! Please give Karen a hug from me!

    'Therefore my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labors are not in vain in the Lord' I Cor 15:58

    Love you both!!
    Janet

     

Post a Comment

<< Home