Two Crazy Girls In Africa

This is the blog of Lauren & Kelly, as we head out on Saturday to the country of Uganda!!! Please pray for us that we will most importantly, honor God in ALL that we do (prepare to go, travel, and during our stay) & that we are a blessing to everyone we meet!!! We are excited to see what God will teach us through this incredible opportunity He has provided! We are both still floored as we look back to see how God opened EACH and EVERY door in HIS perfect timing!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Just Another Day In the Office

But instead of seeing cubicles in front of me, there is a tree that has a weird growth coming out of it that looks like a cow, I think. Instead of getting comments from Doug and Kenny, and seeing Allison sitting across from me, Suni and Gizmo, the compound guard dogs, are laying outside snoozing until the next unknown person walks ANYWHERE NEAR the compound, giving them a reason to get up and bark! (They have to earn their keep you know!).Some BBC radio station is playing in Lynne's office, and currently, "Hallelujah" is playing. It is 80 something degrees outside, but a nice breeze blows into the open window every once in a while. On my way to lunch, instead of searching the parking garage for my car, I heard this incredibly loud noise, and there were 2 weird and amazing birds sitting up in the tree...one flew down and landed in the yard right in front of me. Oh yeah..and the other different part...I'M IN AFRICA....I still don't think I quite believe it myself :)

so yeah...it's not just ANOTHER day...but I sure do feel at home pretty much. Last night after dinner, I went back to the house and put on the second coat of yellow paint in the living room. I was just starting to roll the wall in the kitchen when Gregg called to say they wanted to lock up the mission guest house, so I needed to come home. My stay up late, get up late, way of life is definitely NOT the norm here. Everyone is in bed it seems like by 9ish and then is up at the crack of dawn. I'm not sure really why...it may be b/c you never know when you will have electricity and during the day at least you can still function relatively well without it...who knows...but they certainly do work hard.

After a wonderful night's sleep in the guest house (I had a fan!!!!), I got up this morning and started to work on the project that Karen had left me. I had emptied the filing cabinet and had to paint it with black paint and then put everything back in it...but NOT everything as she wanted me to clean it out and organize it. Somehow I find it easier to organize stuff when I know what the stuff is...so I'm going to need to go through everything and see what we have. Anything I think she doesn't need, I will put aside and then have Karen go through it when she gets back.I have put the second coat of paint on the filing cabinet, but I didn't do a good job. There are drips all over the front..I've never worked with oil based paint (as was very obvious when Gregg came down to the garage this morning and inquired WHY I had put the brush into water....b/c that's what I always do with the brushes...:( Thankfully Godfrey, who takes care of everything on the compound here, found something to put the brush in to salvage it, and then gave me a new brush to use...I'm such a dork!). But it is painted, not well mind you, but painted. So now the long process of going through everything begins.

Lauren and Karen will get back tonight around supper time. I'm sure they have had a wonderful, educating 2 days at the island, I can't wait to hear all about it. I think this weekend we are doing some fun things (not that all of this has not been fun, but you know what I mean). Karen mentioned something about a pool...so we'll see! And the best news for all of you, is that Lauren will be back tomorrow so she can give you an update on her trip :)

In my time in the word this morning I read Psalm 9...and here is an excerpt....
"I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."
I don't know whether it is an African thing, or just a "Lewis thing", but I have been amazed at the prayers during the meal...so much during the day has not gone as planned...maybe we had not water (which we have not for 3 days now), or the electricity had gone out, or someone arrived that they were not expecting...on and on...which leaves even more work for tomorrow and more catching up to do for them...but their prayers are just filled with thanksgiving at the beginning...I don't even remember hearing a "and give us..." anything. So this morning when I read that I just sat for a while and tried to recount God's wonderful deeds...I didn't even come close to counting them all...but I certainly don't do it enough at home..just something that has me thinking.

Thank you for all of your prayers, comments and emails! And thanks to my brother who is posting pictures for me..I could not get it to work and he does a MUCH better job at it! :)

5 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome in Africa, I hope that you will enjoy the good and the bad, Learn from all lives leasons, and i pray that God will keep you safe and walk with you on your journey.

    Thank You to all who offer up their time to make the lives of those who suffer more bearable, May God Bless You in your work.

    Mary-Ann
    South Africa

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kelly and Lauren,
    We are all praying for you! Your blog is great it really gives us a window into what you are doing and how God is using you. The yellow paint looks very cheerful! Kelly when it comes to organization- you are the woman! Keep up the good work.
    Pat H.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelly,
    Thanks for keeping us up to date -- and for periodically changing what was already posted so that we keep coming back to see if more was added!
    We missed you both at youth group last night!!
    Jean

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kelly,

    It sounds like you and Lauren are really doing well. I look forward to reading your blog every day. Of course my daily walks here have not been happening but what can I say. Please be safe and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'll see you when you get home.

    God Bless,
    Shannon

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Kelly and Lauren,
    I wrote a comment earlier but not being familiar with the system, it didn't work. Alex explained it to me today.
    It sounds like you two are having a wonderful time. You both make Uganda sound so peaceful and beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing this unique experience with all of us. Hope I can make this one go through. Love and Prayers, Fran

     

Post a Comment

<< Home